Friday, December 9, 2011

Sanctuary

God, I have missed the beach!! I live 10 minutes from it and yet it took me driving to Topsail Beach today to remind me of just how beautiful and serene the sand and waves can be. I went up to Topsail Beach to drop off supplies for the Sea Turtle Hospital and then decided to park and walk along the beach, between the waves and the smell of the salt air, and the sun reflecting off the water I completely lost sense of time and over an hour had passed before I headed back to my truck.  I call the beach my sanctuary, it's the one place I can go regardless of mood or attitude and leave in a better frame of mind, hot or cold, rain(to an extent) or shine, the beach is always there for me, it doesn't pass judgement but lets me sit silently or rage as loud as need be to clear my mind. The feel of the sun warming my face relaxes me in a way nothing else can.  I love being near the ocean, always have, it calls to me on multiple levels and reminds me how important the basics can be, to slow down and re evaluate what is truly important in my life, to search my heart and soul and figure out just what is important, what I have to have and what I can do without.  Just watching the movement of the waves is trance inducing and just like the waves wash the sand clean, listening to the combination of water and wind helps clear my mind of useless clutter and thoughts, and brings into focus the more important aspects of my life, what truly matters and who and what is truly a part of my heart and soul.

~~The beauty of the ocean will forever live in my heart, it's sound nourishes my spirit, and it's strength stirs my soul~~ T. Haraga

2 comments:

  1. Oh can I relate to this! It took me moving to Charlotte to make me realize how much I took it for granted. I wish I could sit on the beach with my feet in the sand! I live 5 minutes from a lake but it just is not the same. I can't wait to introduce Emma to the beach and I hope she loves it as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly put. There is a reason we live close to the ocean! even if we forget now & then. Its my therapy & solace, especially this time of year when there aren't so many tourist & you can find a spot to park without paying an arm.

    If only we all could live on the beach to be reminded each morning & night of its beauty!

    ReplyDelete